This is a classic Italian recipe that perfectly showcases each strand of spaghetti. The sauce is super easy, but incredibly flavorful. Since there are so few components to the dish, use the best quality ingredients you have on hand. You will really be able to taste each of them. Truly classic garlic and oil pasta would not include arugula, but I like the color and pepperiness that it adds to the plate. Reserving the pasta water to add at the end makes a silky sauce with the perfect amount of salt. A simple, easy, delicious and fast weeknight meal. Vegan without trying.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound arugula leaves
- reserved pasta water
- red chile flakes
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Boil pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve pasta water.
- In a large pot, add minced garlic and red chile flakes to 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Cook over low heat until the garlic is barely cooked.
- Toss in the pasta and arugula. Allow the arugula to wilt down. Add the reserved pasta, 1 tablespoon at a time until a creamy sauce is formed.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle in the remaining 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with fresh cracked black pepper.
For a Gluten-free diet, use your favorite gluten-free spaghetti.