Did you know you can make creamy sorbet using applesauce as a base? It’s true!
There are lots of recipes on the internet for banana soft serve- essentially blending up frozen bananas until they reach the texture of ice cream. If you haven’t tried this out yet, definitely give it a whirl. This method totally works because bananas are both sweet and starchy. Apples don’t have starch but they do have a fiber called pectin, which acts as a thickener. They also have a much more neutral flavor, making applesauce a great base for any fruit flavored sorbet.
You may not think to pair blueberry and rosemary together, but it’s a fantastic combination. You can, however, think of this recipe as a blueprint. You could swap the rosemary for lavender (another great combo) or omit the herbs altogether. If you’re not a fan of blueberries, try raspberries or cherries.
Love and sorbet,
- 2 cups applesauce
- 16 ounces wild blueberries, frozen
- 1/4 cup honey or other liquid sweetener
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or granulated cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until totally smooth. Since you've used frozen blueberries, the base is already chilled and ready to churn in your ice cream maker as soon as you are!